IT Modernization Project MCQs for PA/MTS/GDS/IPO Exam and PS Gr B is today`s post that covers the topic comprehensively as a ONE STOP Solution. So, if you are appearing for MTS/Postman to PA or GDS to PA or PA to IPO Exam or IPO/ASP for PS Group B Exam; I promise that you will be self-equipped with adequate knowledge on IT Modernization Project 2012 in India Post on going through this extensive topic.
Please read till the end to get the maximum out of it.
MCQs on IT Modernization Project
IT Modernization Project 2012 MCQs
Modernization of India Post Project Name
First off, you may like to know about the Organization of the Department of Posts from this video:
Do watch this video first and then Play the Quiz given below RIGHT NOW:
IT Modernization Project of Department of Posts
IT means Information and Technology. In this post you will know exactly:
- What is the IT Modernization project?
- What are the goals of the IT Modernization Project?
- Quiz on IT Modernization Project with MCQs
- Details of 8 Silos(segments) of IT Modernization Project India Post including the vendors
- Brief on Project Arrow
- What is DARPAN?
- The main goal of DARPAN?
- What is the vision of the DARPAN Project?
- Resources on IT Modernization Project
Basic Terminology related to IT Modernisation Project of Department of Post and lots more…
Let’s dive in right now.
What is the IT Modernization Project?
IT Modernization Project of Department of Posts is a project approved by the Government of India [Cabinet Committee on Economic Affairs (CCEA)] on 22nd November 2012 as Mission mode e-governance Project with an outlay of Rs4909 Crore aiming at transforming the Department of Posts’ operational efficiency and improving service delivery of operational and administrative units through upgraded technology and connectivity.
MCQ on IT Modernization Project 2012
Quiz on IT Modernization Project MCQs:
What are the 8 Segments(Silos) of the IT Modernization Project India Post?
The implementation of the India Post IT Modernization Project started in the year 2012-13 in 8 segments(Silos).
The Eight Silos of India Post IT Modernization Project of India Post are:
- The Primary Data Center Facility (DCF) at Navi Mumbai
- Disaster Recovery Center (DRC) at PTC, Mysuru
- Change Management (CM)
- Network Integrator (NI)
- Financial System Integrator (FSI)
- Rural System Integrator (RSI)
- Rural Hardware (RH)
- Mail Operations Hardware (MoH) stream
National Institute for Smart Government (NISG) Executives & Circle Project Monitoring Unit (PMU) and Circle Monitoring Committee(CMC) will oversee the major projects like CBS, CSI, DARPAN, etc in IT Modernization Project India Post.
Details of 8 Silos (segments) of IT Modernization Project
Names of the 8 Silos(segments) of IT Modernization Project of the Department of Posts
Change Management (CM)
(Completed in 2015)
|TCS||Capacity Building and Training of all employees (both GDS & Departmental employees) in Post offices in IT environment.
Training is given in the Work Place Computer Training Centre(WPCTCs) in the respective Divisions.
Data Centre Facility (DCF)
(i) Maintenance of Primary Data Center of India post at Navi Mumbai that started on 03-04-2013
(ii)Disaster Recovery Centre (DRC) at PTC, Mysore that started on 15-05-2015
Connectivity & related Hardware will be provided by the NI vendor.
The Primary DC will also house the Department’s Network Operating Centre (NOC), which will be managed by NI.
Financial System Integrator (FSI)
The FSI vendor will implement the solutions for Core Banking (CBS) and PLI & Enterprise Content Management System (ECMS) in all Post Offices and provide Multiple delivery channels- internet, Interactive Voice Response (IVR), Mobile, ATM & SMS.
Maintenance of Core Banking Solution(CBS): (23,872 Offices rolled out as of 31-12-2019 rolled out),
Core Insurance Solution(CIS): (25,573 offices rolled out as of 31-12-2019),
ECMS, 997 ATMs (Automated Teller Machine) rolled out as of 31-12-2019.
Cash management in Post office ATM and cash loading is done by AGS (vendor).
However, presently cash about the post office will be placed in the ATM, duly making a relevant entry in Finacle.
Toll free number is 1800 425 2440 for ATM/ debit card, mobile/ internet/ SMS banking related grievances.
General India Post Toll-free Number is: ”1800 266 6868.”
ATMs are made interoperable with Banks w.e.f. 30-12-2016,
Intra operable Internet Banking w.e.f. 14-12-2018.
Mobile Banking w.e.f. 15-10-2019.
Core System Integrator (CSI)
[513 Divisions Rolled out into CSI as of 31-12-2019.]
[501 Postal & RMS Divisions +12 GPOs/independent HOs)]
Implementation of the solutions
(Tata Consultancy Services)
POS, Daily Account, Call Center, Help Desk, HR (Employee portal) & F&A, Mail (DPMS & IPVS),& Logistics, Business Process Management & Workflow, Business Intelligence, Brain of the Postal System which integrates all System integrators (SIs)
In short, CSI is connecting (integrating) other System Integrators(SIs) in India Post IT Modernisation Project
Rural Hardware (RH)
(Telecommunications consultant India Ltd.)
Further operated by vendor RICOH now taken over by MINOSHA India Pvt Limited
Hardware & Network provision to BOs
Rural Hardware includes Hand Held(HH) Device, Smart Card Reader, Solar Panel, Battery with Backup, Thermal Printer, Biometric Reader, SIM Card, Charger for the device.
5% Buffer stock of inventory (devices) will be maintained at Divisional Levels to ensure immediate replacements in case of faults in hardware.
It provides 1,29,080 BOs rolled out into DARPAN
Rural System Integrator (RSI)
|Infosys||BO software maintenance
MGNREGA, POSB, eMO, application for the rural device
Network Integrator (NI)
(27,431 offices rolled out as of 31-12-2019)
|Sify||Providing connectivity for each
Departmental Post office location to ensure uninterrupted network connectivity through one single Wide Area Network (WAN) and connection to Data Centre. The sequence of Flow of Network is: Exchange>Modem>Router>Switch>PCThe Routers of HP make are used in DoP offices. Juniper Switches are used in DoP offices. Modems of Team Link are used.
Mail Operations Hardware (MoH)
|DGS&D||Provision of Hardware (computers, UPS, barcode scanners, weighing scales, tag printers, Printers, etc.) to Mail office (RMS) and handheld devices (smartphones) to postman staff in post offices|
Abbreviations on IT Modernisation of Department of Posts
Click the link given below to check out the Abbreviations on IT Modernisation Project in India Post that will give you an idea on basic terminologies related to IT Modernisation of Department of Posts:
Basic Terminologies related to IT Modernisation Project of Department of Post: IT Modernization Project India Post 2012 PDF
After, Basic Terminologies related to IT Modernisation project of Department of posts, now let’s see a glimpse of IT Modernization Project 2.0 & Project Arrow.
IT Modernization Project 2.0
To further strengthen its reach and customer service powered by tech-competence, the Department of Post is working on the next phase of IT modernization in 2020-21 i.e., Modernize IT DOP 2.
As part of this exercise, the organization has appointed a consultant PricewaterhouseCoopers Pvt Ltd (PWC) to study the status of the acquisition of IT capabilities in the organization and submit a report keeping the future growth of the organization in mind.
Project Arrow India Post:
Modernization of India Post Project 2008
Project Arrow was implemented in 2008 with 900 crores to improve core operations of the Post office with modernized ambiance under the “Look and Feel” Silo of the project.
‘Project Arrow’ India Post, is an initiative to transform the Department of Posts into a vibrant and responsive organization and to make a visible and positive difference to quality and efficiency of service to the customer.
DoP received ”Prime Minister’s award for Excellence in Public Administration” during 2008-09 for Project Arrow for transforming India Post on 21-04-2010.
Department of Posts got its new logo in 9/2008.
What is DARPAN full form?
The full form of DARPAN is – “Digital Advancement of Rural Post Office for A New India”
What is DARPAN?
The DARPAN – “Digital Advancement of Rural Post Office for A New India” Project is a part of the larger IT modernization project being undertaken in the year 2017 by the Department of Posts with a project outlay of Rs. 1400 Crore to provide a low power technology solution (Information and Communications Technology Device) to each Branch Postmaster (BPM) which will enable each of approximately 1.29 Lakhs Branch Post Offices (BOs) to improve the level of services being offered to rural customers across all the states.
RICT (Rural Information and Communications Technology) has been renamed as DARPAN.
IT Modernization Project-The main goal of Project DARPAN
The primary business goal of the DARPAN project is to improve the quality of service, add value to services and achieve “financial inclusion” of the un‐banked rural population while taking advantage of this opportunity to increase revenue traffic.
In the IT Modernization Project, what is the vision of the DARPAN Project India Post?
The vision of the DARPAN Project India Post is as follows
1. To increase the rural reach of the Department of Posts and enable Rural Branch Post offices to increase the traffic of all financial remittances, savings accounts, Rural Postal Life Insurance, and Cash Certificates;
2. Improve mail operations processes by allowing for automated booking and delivery of
accountable article; increase revenue using retail post business;
3. Provide third party applications a platform for rural reach;
4. Make disbursements for social security schemes such as MGNREGS etc.
Project DARPAN Usage in BOs-IT Modernization Project
The project DARPAN shall increase the rural reach of the Department of Posts and enable Branch Offices (rural Post Offices) BOs to increase the traffic of all financial remittances, savings accounts, Rural Postal Life Insurance, and Cash Certificates; improve mail operations processes by allowing for automated booking and delivery of accountable article; increase revenue using retail post business; provide third party applications; and make disbursements for social security schemes such as MGNREGS.
As of 31.12.2019, 1,29,080 Branch Post Offices (Rural Post Offices) have been migrated under the “DARPAN” project with the aim of financial inclusion of the rural population of the country.
Check this document on DARPAN.
Mail Network Optimization Project (MNOP)
As part of the Mail Network Optimization Project (MNOP), the ”online Track and Trace system” for Speed Post and Registered mail has been developed to provide complete end-to-end tracking information on the website (www.indiapost.gov.in).
An online tracking facility for parcels has also been introduced.
What is ”DakPay”?
DakPay is a UPI App introduced on 15-12-2020 by the India Post Payments Bank (IPPB) along with the Department of Posts (DoP) to facilitate easy digital transactions and other banking services and enable the user to register and create UPI ID and UPI PIN, add multiple Bank Accounts into a single mobile application facilitating Banking features, fund transfer, merchant Payments, and offers postal products.
Features of DakPay
You are aware that IPPB was launched by Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi on 01-09-2018.
IPPB has launched the digital payment application ‘DakPay’ on 15-12-2020 with the following special features:
(i) Unified Payments Interface(UPI): Fast and easy Bank account to Bank Account payment transfers.
(ii) Virtual Debit Card(VDC): Shop and make payments with the Digital form of a Debit card powered by Rupay.
(iii) Domestic Money Transfer(DMT): Instant Money transfer to any Bank account in India.
DakPay will provide digital financial and assisted banking services provided by India Post and IPPB through the postal network across the country.
Using the DakPay app, the users will be able to facilitate services such as sending money, scanning QR codes, and making payments for services and merchants digitally.
Apart from this, the app will also provide interoperable banking services to customers with any bank in the country.
This innovative service will not only give access to banking services and postal products online but also is a unique concept where one can order and avail of postal financial services at doorsteps.
IPPB launched a doorstep ”Digital Life Certificate (DLC)” service for pensioners.
The pensioners can now submit an online request for availing of the doorstep DLC service on payment of a nominal fee.
What is Nanyatha?
”Nanyatha” is an electronic monitoring software in Android GPS-based mobile phone for letter clearance from letterboxes in India Post by the Mail Peon/Postman entrusted with the job.
When the barcode is scanned using a GPS-based smartphone, data about the location of the Letter Box, Date & Time of clearance, No of letters cleared, Employee Id of the person cleared details will be uploaded to the central server having the web address https://appost.in/nanyatha.This is called Nanyatha MIS.
Public members can go to this website and type the location of the LB in the text box provided. Immediate information about the date and time of clearance will be displayed.
For the postal administration, each division has been given a log-in (user id and password) to enter into the website and see MIS details which comprise the name of the PO and LB clearance under its jurisdiction.
Web-based MIS to be provided with various access levels as CO/RO/DO/PO.
1) List of LBs with last date and time of opening against the due date and time
2) No of letters posted in each LB
3) List of LBs not cleared for many days
4) List of LBs with less no of traffic
5) Google Map based LB identification and clearance MIS to public
1) To ensure that the LB attendant has opened the exact letterbox the GPS coordinates of the LB are being captured automatically from the device.
The coordinates passed from the device and the coordinates of the master data are tallied for accepting the LB clearance.
2) The Barcode stickers are affixed inside the LB doors to ensure that the scanning happens only when the letterbox is opened.
3) The master data can also prescribe the due time of opening of LB to monitor the time deviation of LB clearance from the prescribed time.
DoP has implemented a Symantec Antivirus solution to secure the IT Assets of the Department such as Desktops and Laptops.
1.Symantec Endpoint Protection is a client-server solution that protects Laptops, Desktops, and servers in our network against Malware.
2. Symantec Endpoint Protection combines virus protection with advanced threat protection to proactively secure our computers against known threats.
Group Update Provider (GUP)
DoP has implemented Symantec Group Update Provider in each office with more than 10 systems.
1.GUP is a system, installed with Symantec AV, which downloads AV updates from a central server and distributes updates locally to other systems in the same subnet.
2.GUP server is the most critical system for Symantec Antivirus update.
3.End user to keep the GUP system up and running all the time. Tag the GUP system with Label for easily Identifying.
4. End-user to ensure that GUP is updated with the latest AV signature.
5. System Administrator / Head of the office to ensure that GUP server is powered on 24×7 and connected to Sify network.
6 . System will first check for the latest signature in the configured GUP server, then DC Server, if both the server connectivity is not working it will try to get the signature from Symantec Cloud. The systems which are not configured with GUP Server will directly connect to DC Server for Live update then Symantec cloud.
The Windows Active Directory provides central authentication and authorization services for Windows-based computers. It also enables Network Administrators to assign policies, deploy software, and apply critical updates to an organization.
DoP has implemented the Microsoft Active Directory Solution. All the desktops/laptops and servers should be on Active Directory. Similarly, all the employees /users must have their own user id.
Active Directory provides a list of authenticated users and computers in an organization. Using Active Directory, we can efficiently manage users, computers, groups, applications in a centralized location.
1.Email IDs (Name-Based) will be created for all employees of DoP under Group ‘A’ & Group ‘ B’ (Gazetted) and Inspector Posts category. Employee ID is mandatory for creation.
2.Functional Email Ids (Designation Based) shall be created for all the standard designations available in the department up to the regional level. All divisions and other DoP offices will have one email for each office.
3. Mobile Number of the custodian is to be mentioned for communicating the email password.
4. The Email quota for each employee is 100MB only.
5. All the employees are advised to use Microsoft Outlook for day to day use.
6.The password will expire in 90 days so change the password before expiry.
7. Inactive Email Account: Any account which is inactive for a period of 90 days will be deactivated. The user id along with the data will be removed from the e-mail system after a period of 180 days & archived if no request for activation is received during this period.
Tech devices & Computer Parts
The basic parts of a computer are:
- Monitor: Where the display of a computer is seen.
- CPU: Central Processing Unit is the ”brain” of the computer.
- A motherboard
- A Graphics Processing Unit (GPU), also known as a video card
- Random Access Memory (RAM), also known as volatile memory
- Storage: Solid State Drive (SSD) or Hard Disk Drive (HDD)
- UPS: Uninterruptible Power supply. The power supply unit (PSU) typically uses a switched-mode power supply (SMPS)
Network Cable: Various cables are used for carrying Ethernet. Current common types include CAT 5, 5e, CAT 6, 6a, 7, and CAT 8, and the RJ45 connector is widely used.
ETHERNET CABLE PERFORMANCE SUMMARY
|CATEGORY||SHIELDING||MAX TRANSMISSION SPEED (AT 100 METERS)||MAX BANDWIDTH|
|Cat 3||Unshielded||10 Mbps||16 MHz|
|Cat 5||Unshielded||10/100 Mbps||100 MHz|
|Cat 5e||Unshielded||1000 Mbps / 1 Gbps||100 MHz|
|Cat 6||Shielded or Unshielded||1000 Mbps / 1 Gbps||>250 MHz|
|Cat 6a||Shielded||10000 Mbps / 10 Gbps||500 MHz|
|Cat 7||Shielded||10000 Mbps / 10 Gbps||600 MHz|
|Cat 8||Shielded||25 Gbps or 40Gbps *||2000 MHz|
- Light Pen
- Magnetic Ink Character Recognition (MICR)
- Optical Character Reader (OCR)
- Digital Camera
- Paddle: Provides left-and-right controls using a small wheel held in the fingers of one hand like a game paddle.
- Steering Wheel
- Gesture recognition devices
- Light Gun
- Touch screen
- Biometric Devices
- CRT Monitor; LCD Monitor; LED Monitor; Plasma Monitor
- Impact Printers
- Character Printers
- Dot Matrix printers
- Daisy Wheel printers
- Line printers
- Drum printers
- Chain printers
- Character Printers
- Non-impact printers
- Laser printers
- Inkjet printers
- Impact Printers
- Multimedia and Screen Projector
- Sound Card: allows you to generate higher quality sound without noise.
- Video Card: translates the program code into a user-friendly image on the monitor, TV, or any other display like video, 3D, HD videos, video gaming.
- Geo Positioning System(GPS): Providing location, weather conditions, and also tracking.
- Plotter: Prints graphics with high-quality images in many color formats which is used to print large maps, architectural drawings, large-format printing, create pictures, 3D postcards, advertising signs
- Speech synthesizer: Converts typed texts into sentences voiced by a human voice
*** *** ***
One more thing…
1. To accelerate the efforts to achieve universal sanitation coverage and to put the focus on sanitation, the Prime Minister of India had launched the Swachh Bharat Mission on 02-10-2014.
2. KVP which was discontinued w.e.f. from 1st December 2011, was relaunched on 18-11-2014.
3. Sukanya Samridhi Account, a new Small Savings Scheme for the welfare of girl child, was launched on 22-01-2015.
4. Jan Suraksha Schemes viz. Pradhan Mantri Suraksha Bima Yojana (PMSBY) and Pradhan Mantri Jeevan Jyoti Bima Yojana (PMJJBY) were launched w.e.f. 07.09.2015.
5. My Stamp: Department has also introduced a new product called “Customized My Stamp” in December-2015.
‘My Stamp’ was first introduced in India during the World Philatelic Exhibition, ‘INDIPEX-2011’.
(a) Purchase of 2 -100 My Stamp Sheetlets =10% discount
(b)Purchase of more than 100 My Stamp Sheetlets=20% discount
Note: Discount of 20% will be allowed only on additional sheetlets over 100.
For e.g, if a customer purchases 200 My Stamp sheetlets, he will get a 10% discount on the first 100 sheetlets and a 20% discount on sheetlets over and above the first 100 sheetlets
6. Twitter Seva was inaugurated in India Post on 02-08-2016.
7. To bring transparency and accountability to the Government, the Department of Posts has established the “India Post Help Centre” on 12-09-2016 which can be reached through a Toll-Free Number, 1924.
8. The India Post Payments Bank (IPPB) has launched two branches in Raipur and Ranchi on 30/01/2017.
FAQs on India Post Services:
1. Who is maintaining the India Post website?
India Post website belongs to the Department of Posts, Ministry of Communications, GoI. Created and Managed by Tata Consultancy Services Ltd. Content owned and updated by Department of Posts, Ministry of Communications, Government of India.
2. What is the name of the IT modernization project that is being implemented?
The Core Banking Solution (CBS) is part of the India Post IT Modernization project that aims to bring in various IT solutions with the required IT infrastructure to the Post Offices.
3. What is the objective of Project Arrow?
The Department of Posts launched Project Arrow with the objective of making a tangible difference in postal operations that impact the common man.
4. What is Project Arrow?
Project Arrow is an initiative to transform India Post into a vibrant and responsive organization and to make a visible and positive difference in postal operations to benefit the customers. It has been launched with the objective of modernizing the post and makes visible, tangible, and noteworthy differences in the post offices.
5. What is Darpan in the Post office?
DARPAN is Information Technology (IT) modernization project which was launched in the year 2017. It is an initiative of the Ministry of Communication. ‘ The outlay of the project is Rs1400 crores.
6. What are the premium products of postal service?
The premium products of postal service are as follows:
1. Aadhaar Updation
2. Post office Pass Port seva kendras
3. Gangajal Services
4. Holy Blessings
5. India Post Passenger Reservation System (PRS)
7. Which country has the highest number of post offices?
India has the largest postal network in the world with 1,55,618 post offices and over 5,66,000 employees. The modern postal service in India is more than 150 years old.
8. Which is the highest post in the post office?
Secretary Posts (Indian Postal Services(IPOs)] is the highest post in the Post office.
9. Which place is the highest in the post office in India?
Hikkim is the highest post office in India and also World’s Highest Post Office with the pin code 172114. A beautiful village called Hikkim in the Lahaul-Spiti district of Himachal Pradesh is set at an elevation of 4440 m (14,567 ft above sea level).
10. Who introduced the PIN code system in India?
The PIN Code system was introduced on 15 August 1972 by Shriram Bhikaji Velankar.
What are the benefits of the IT Modernization Project India Post?
The IT Modernization Project India Post intends to achieve the following:
- Wider reach to the Indian populace through more customer interaction channels.
- Better customer service.
- Growth through new lines of business.
- IT enablement of business processes and support functions.
- Countrywide financial inclusion particularly in rural areas effective delivery of MGNREGS DBT, & Social Security Schemes
- Faster, transparent, and more reliable postal services
- Faster and Transparent financial services
- Multiple channels of access for customer like ATM, Mobile Banking, Net Banking, NEFT, RTGS
- The last Mile IT Network connecting more than 1,56,600 post offices (networking)
- Improved delivery of Govt. schemes in Rural Areas
- Improved quality of service
- Reduction in operations cost
- New products and services based on IT enablement
- Faster and better decision making based on on-line data availability
- Benefits to citizens
- The benefits to Government
- Benefits to the Department of Posts
IT Modernization Project India Post
As a part of the India Post Project, the Department of Posts has carried out business process reengineering across various functional areas and has created To-Be processes that will enable it to achieve these objectives.
To implement these processes sustainably, they need to be IT-enabled in an integrated manner that improves operational efficiencies.
You make like to read:
Now it’s your turn.
Which question from the ”IT Modernization in India Post” did you like the most?
Let me know in the comments section below right now.