MNOP: Mail Network Optimization Project: IPO Exam/PS Group B Exam. MNOP MCQs and Quiz will help to improve the knowledge for the IPO Exam & Gr B Exam.
What is MNOP full form in Post Office?
MNOP full form in Post Office is Mail Network Optimization Project.
Now you know what is MNOP full form India Post.
Watch this video on MNOP for important MCQs RIGHT NOW:
If you wish to know about PNOP(Parcel Network Optimization Project) EASILY and EFFORTLESSLY, WATCH RIGHT NOW this video:
What is MNOP?
MNOP is a Mail Network Optimization Project in the Department of Posts initiated as part of an 11th Plan Scheme in March 2010 to improve the Quality of Mail Services by rationalizing the mail network, streamlining mail operations & establishing a robust monitoring system.
Also read: PNOP concept (click here)
MNOP MCQs with MNOP Quiz
Check out the following Videos useful for all Departmental Exams and improves your knowledge RIGHT NOW:
Network Structure & Mapping under MNOP INDIAPOST
Strategic mapping of Post Offices with NSHs and ICHs has been made under the MNOP Concept as follows:
1. NSHs exchange mail with each other NSH in PAN India.
2. ICHs exchange mail with all NSHs and ICHs within the Circle.
3. Post Offices exchange mail only with the NSH/ICH to which they are mapped
FAQs on Mail Network Optimization Project Concept
A new concept was adopted by the Department of Posts in Nov 2010 to bring efficiency, transparency, and accountability to Mail Operations.
Initially implemented for Speed Post and later extended for Regd. articles also.
MNOP Project India Post Benefits: Key Changes/Features on implementation of MNOP
The following are the MNOP Project India Post key benefits:
1. Simplification of Network: Speed Post Network has been optimized by creating 91 National Sorting Hubs(NSHs) and 150 Intra Circle Hubs (ICHs) compared to 315 National Speed Post centers (NSPC) and 890 State Speed Post Centres(SPC) earlier. Simple tracking of delayed/ misplaced consignments.
Recently in January 2021, Port Blair has been upgraded from ICH to NSH.
2. Use of Adequate Equipment: Infrastructure up-gradation at mail offices under MNOP. New-equipments have been introduced to improve not only efficiency or effectiveness of staff but working conditions
3. Optimisation of Layout: The layout of Speed Post hubs has been redesigned to facilitate the assembly-line flow of mail minimizing wasteful movement and maximizing space utilization. Clearly identified and defined flow of volume from origin to destination.
4. Streamlining of processes: A unique Mail pattern, Mail Routing designed PAN India. Reduced complexity of the working network.
Transit time targets for each NSH set up based on mail network availability & geographical locations.
- Speed-NetNTD sorting scheduled before TD sorting to optimize D+X
- Sorting logic rationalized based on actual volume reported by
- Specialization of labor into scanners and sorters
5. Establishment of Performance Reviews: Performance of each Speed Post hub monitored and reviewed every fortnight based on KPIs computed using the information on Central Server: TD and NTD D+x scan compliance, missorts, duplicate bar-codes, missing pin-codes, invalid bag-labels.
Eleven (11) Unique KPIs (Key Performance Indicators) are set up to ensure every mail activity.
6. Effective Monitoring: Better monitoring and control of the network with the Tools for monitoring MNOP like (i) BI Tool, (ii) IPVS, (iii) AWB Tracking.
KPI’s Monitored under MNOP IndiaPost
|Sr. No.||Key Performance Indicator|
|3||Inbound operational performance|
|4||Share of bags without ‘correct’ bag labels|
|5||Share of ‘mis-sorted’ articles (NTD)|
|6||Share of ‘mis-sorted’ articles (TD)|
|7||Share of articles with ‘missing’ pin codes|
|8||Share of duplicate barcodes|
|9||Full Scan Compliance (TD)|
|10||Full Scan Compliance (NTD)|
|11||TD articles without Delivery Scan / Information|
Implications of MNOP KPI’s in respect of RMS Units
|Sl No.||Key Performance Indicator||Implications of KPI for RMS units|
Time taken for processing of articles after receipt at processing units and further connection to available Flight/schedules is taken into account for the calculation of D+X
Inbound Operational Performance
Time taken for processing of bags which are received before cut off time and its connection to available schedules for same-day delivery is taken into account in calculating it.
Share of Bag without correct bag labels
|Using correct bag labels as per the category of articles by the processing units|
|5||Share of missorted articles (NTD)||
As the sorting is done at processing units, this KPI pertains to all the articles missorted at the processing units
|6||Share of missorted articles (TD)|
Share of articles with missing Pin Codes
Suppose Bulk booking units books articles with the wrong Pincode or with duplicate barcode it will affect these KPI
|8||Share of Duplicate barcodes|
Full Scan Compliance (TD)
Total 8 scans are mandatory of TD articles. Out of these 4 scans are mandatory for processing unit i.e Bag Receipt, Bag Opened, bag closed and bag despatch
Full Scan Compliance (NTD)
Total 12 scans are mandatory of NTD articles. Out of these 4 scans are mandatory for processing unit i.e Bag Receipt, Bag Opened, bag closed and bag despatch
D articles without delivery scan/ information
If TD articles received at the processing unit are not timely processed and further connected to available schedules it will affect this KPI
KPI’s of MNOP-Implications
KPI #(1): D+X TD:
- The average time that is taken in days for TD articles from booking by the customer to delivery to the recipient on a given.
- TD Articles – Articles booked at offices in local TD and catchment area of given NSH and delivered at Post Offices in the local TD and catchment area of given NSH.
KPI # (2): D+X NTD:
- The average time that is taken in days by NTD articles from booking by the customer to delivery to the recipient on a given.
- NTD Articles – Articles booked at offices in local TD and catchment area of given (NSH) Sorting hub and delivered at Post Offices in local TD and catchment area of National Sorting Hubs other than given NSH.
Implication: Time taken for processing of articles after receipt at processing units and further connection to available Flight/schedules is taken into account for the calculation of D+X.
KPI #(3): Inbound Operational Performance
- Performance of destination Hub to deliver all inbound TD articles in the next possible delivery round.
- For metros, all those articles which are received at Sorting Hub from 7:00 AM on day D-1 to 7:00 AM on day D.
- For non-metros, all those articles which are received at Sorting Hub from 3:00 AM on day D-1 to 3:00 AM on day D
Implication: Time taken for processing of bags which are received before cut off time and its connection to available schedules for same-day delivery is taken into account in calculating it.
KPI #(4): Share of Bag without correct bag labels:
- All the bags closed at the Processing Hub having their bag closing scan in the system are considered and checked for correctness of their Bag
Implication: Using correct bag labels as per the category of articles by the processing units
KPI #(5): Share of missorted articles (NTD):
- For all the bags closed at a Sorting Hub bag labels hold information for delivery Sorting Hub.
- Pin code of Delivery PO of an article is compared with the Delivery POs mapped to a particular destination Sorting Hub to which the article is bagged.
- If the Pin code of Delivery PO differs from the Pin code of delivery POs mapped to that particular destination Sorting Hub to which the article is bagged, the article is treated as NTD Mis-sort.
KPI #(6): Share of missorted articles (TD):
6 digit Pin code of PO to which the article is bagged is compared with the Pin code of PO at which it is delivered i.e. If the Pin code of delivery PO for which the article is bagged differ from the Pin code of Delivery PO where the article is delivered then the article is treated as TD Mis-sort
Implication: Sorting and bag closing in the system is done at processing units, this KPI pertains to all the articles missorted at the processing units.
KPI #(7): Share of articles with missing Pin Codes:
- This KPI assesses how many articles were booked at POs and booking unit in the catchment area of the Sorting hub without 6 digit addressee
KPI #(8): PinShare of Duplicate barcodes:
- This KPI assesses how many articles were booked by reusing barcodes within a prescribed time
Implication: Bulk booking units (like BNPLs) suppose book articles with the wrong Pincode or with duplicate barcode, it will affect these KPI.
KPI #(9): Full Scan Compliance (TD):
- Percentage of TD articles which are having all 8 scans out of total articles delivered:
8 TD Scans for articles booked at PO/NSH/ICH under MNOP Scheme
Booking Post office Booking Post office NSH/ICH NSH/ICH ICH or NSH NSH/ICH Delivery Post office Delivery Post office Booking Scan Dispatch Scan Receipt Scan Bag Opening Scan Bag Closing Scan Dispatch Scan Receipt Scan Delivery Scan 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
1. PO/Sorting Hub Booking Scan
2. PO/Sorting Hub Dispatch Scan
3. Sorting Hub MA/TMO Receipt Scan
4. Sorting Hub Bag Opening Scan
5. Sorting Hub Bag Closing Scan
6. Sorting Hub MA/TMO Dispatch Scan
7. Delivery PO Receipt Scan
8. Delivery PO Final Delivery Scan.
Implication: A total of 8 scans are mandatory for TD Out of this, 4 scans are mandatory for the processing unit i.e., Bag Receipt, Bag Opened, bag closed, and bag despatch.
The Mandatory Scans for Offices Booking BNPL TD category articles:
The 5 Scans are mandatory for BNPL TD articles:
(1)Article Booking Scan>>>(2)Article Dispatch Scan>>>(3)Mail Agency Dispatch Scan>>>(4)Article Receipt at Post Office Scan>>>(5)Delivery Scan at Post office.
KPI #(10): Full Scan Compliance (NTD):
- Percentage of NTD articles which are having all 12 scans out of total articles delivered:
12 NTD Scans for articles booked at PO/NSH/ICH under MNOP Scheme
Booking Post office Booking Post office Origin NSH/ICH NSH/ICH of Origin Origin ICH or NSH Destination NSH or ICH NSH/ICH of Destination Destination NSH/ICH Booking Scan Dispatch Scan Receipt Scan Bag Opening Scan Bag Closing Scan Dispatch Scan Receipt Scan Bag Opening Scan 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ICH/NSH of Destination Destination NSH/ICH Delivery Post office Delivery Post office Bag Closing Scan Dispatch Scan Receipt Scan Delivery Scan 9 10 11 12
1. PO/ Sorting Hub Booking Scan
2. PO/ Sorting Hub Dispatch Scan
3. Origin Sorting Hub MA/TMO Receipt Scan
4. Origin Sorting Hub Bag Opening Scan
5. Origin Sorting Hub Bag Closing Scan
6. Origin Sorting Hub MA/TMO Dispatch Scan
7. Destination Sorting Hub MA/TMO Receipt Scan
8. Destination Sorting Hub Bag Opening Scan
9. Destination Sorting Hub Bag Closing Scan
10. Destination sorting hub MA/TMO Dispatch Scan
11. Destination PO Receipt Scan
12. Destination PO Final Delivery Scan
Implication: A total of 12 scans are mandatory for TD articles. Out of these 4 scans are mandatory for processing unit i.e Bag Receipt, Bag Opened, bag closed, and bag
Note: In respect of BNPL category 9 scans are mandatory.
The Mandatory Scans for Offices Booking BNPL-NTD category articles:
The 9 Scans are mandatory for BNPL- NTD articles:
(1)Article Booking Scan>>>(2)Article Dispatch Scan>>>(3)Mail Agency Dispatch Scan>>>(4) Bag Receipt Scan at Destination NSH>>> (5) Articles Receipt Scan at NSH (6) Articles Dispatch Scan at NSH (7)Bag Dispatch Scan at NSH>>>(8) Article Receipt at Post Office Scan>>>(9)Delivery Scan at Post office.
KPI #(11): TD articles without delivery scan/ information:
• For TD articles, the percentage of articles booked on a given date that get scanned for final delivery in the next 5 working days.
Implication: If TD articles received at the processing unit are not timely processed and further connected to available schedules it will affect this KPI.
Tools for Monitoring of Transmission
1. (Business Intelligence )BI Tool: –
Bag Tracking Transit time, leg wise analysis of TD and NTD.
2. India Post Visibility System(IPVS): –
The Bag Tracking Report for Speed post Hubs and Register Hubs can be accessible in SAP application using the T-code “ZKPI_BAG”.
3. Air Way Bill(AWB) Tracking: –
The mail handed over to airlines can be tracked by AWB numbers provided by the airlines for the concerned consignment.
Airlines Link for Airway bill tracking
Go Indigo: https://6ecargo.goindigo.in/
Spice Jet: https://spicejet.smartkargo.com/
Air India: https://aicargo.airindia.in/
Blue Dart (DHL): https://www.bluedart.com/tracking
Mail Operations: Then-Now Scenario
- Legacy mail architecture (Offline applications)
- Booking Meghdoot software & Processing is through Speed Net, R Net
- Replaced by a combination of offline/online software for accountable mail Booking IPVS – POS (Offline applications)
- Processing IPVS – SAP (Online applications)
- Introduction of bag tracking for unregistered mail.
- Bag scanning introduced at Transit Mail Offices (TMO)
What is IPVS?
IPVS is an online application used for receipt, opening, closing, and dispatch of accountable mail in Mail Offices in Core System Integrator(CSI).
1. Data of bags and articles flows online in the system from one office to another office.
2. This data can be fetched by the recipient office by clicking on the expected Due Mail Schedule List (DMSL)
3. Daily abstracts and Many other reports are available for reconciliation of articles/bags processed at Mail Offices.
4. Facility of updation of all kinds of error reports is available.
5. SOP of IPVS is available at http://utilities.cept.gov.in/csi/
Monitoring of Processing – IPVS
The SAP IPVS Reports and forms enable users to draw all reports regarding bag and article related events such as business transaction reports, discrepancy reports, insured articles reports, and virtual sort.
The reports available in IPVS are –
1. Bags Received
2. Articles Received
3. Virtual Sort
4. Bags Dispatched
5. Articles Dispatched
6. Expected Workload
7. Bag Discrepancy
8. Article Discrepancy
9. Consolidated Abstract
10. Insured Article
11. Late Bags
12. Transmission analysis
13. Set Discrepancy
14. Bags Missing Scans
Following is the link for the detailed SOP to access the IPVS reports –
MNOP-Mail Network Optimization Project Objectives
(i) MNOP Project Components
(1)Optimization and consolidation of mail operation network across the country
(2)Process redesign in mail operations for greater efficiency
(3) Standardization of processes
(4) Development of an effective online performance monitoring system based on Key Performance Indicators (KPIs)
(ii) MNOP Project Coverage
Entire country covering Speed Post, Registered mail, unregistered mail (parcel would also be brought to the fold after the product and network revamp).
MNOP-Mail Network Optimization Project Concept:
|SLNO||Mail Item||Number of NSHs/L1/PH/EPH||Number of ICHs/L2/ PH/EPH|
|1.||Speed Post||91 NSHs||150 ICHs|
|2.||First Class & Registered Mail||91 L1||150-L2|
|3.||Second Class||91 L2||150- L2|
|4.||Parcel: 190 PHs||57 L1-PH||133 L2-PH|
Features of Monitoring System
1. Performance monitoring of each hub based on 11 different KPIs (Transit time, scan compliance, delivery office performance, use of PIN code, missorts, etc.)
2. No human intervention in data extraction and no scope for manipulation of the system
3. 24×7 Online availability of data with user credentials at all levels
4. Enables field units to find out weak elements in the chain and take effective remedial action
5. Performance monitoring through video conference every fortnight chaired by Secretary.
Achievements under the Scheme:
1.Reduced transit time (time from booking to delivery of an article) and improved delivery performance for Speed Post across the country (more than 60% of articles get delivered across the country within two days of booking)
2. Improved visibility for Speed Post articles on the tracking system of India Post website (www.indiapost.gov.in) (end-to-end status of Speed Post articles is available online for about 89% Speed Post articles)
3. Standardized processes at Speed Post operations have led to streamlined operations, better monitoring, and enhanced productivity
4. The introduction of new tools and equipment in operations has led to better working conditions for the employees.
5. Improved sorting process:
Volume-based Sorting logic was introduced.
A sorting diagram was designed to suit this logic.
A new sorting case was designed.
Adequate equipment and infrastructure: New roller containers, trays, trolleys, and bag cutters were used.
Computers, scanners, printers, and internet connectivity were provided.
6. The online KPI tool has provided an effective mechanism for performance measurement for the management at different levels
7. The complaint handling system has become very effective and responsive.
MODERNISE THE LOOK AND FEEL of Mail Offices through MNOP
MNOP has provided for improving the ambiance of Mail Offices i.e., improved Look and Feel of Mail Offices and to be more trustworthy and reliable by upgrading the processing facilities.
Award for the MNOP Concept:
National E-Governance Award 2012-13 under the category “Outstanding performance in citizen-centric service delivery” by Department of Administrative Reforms and Public Grievance (DARPG), Government of India was awarded for MNOP Initiative to Department of Posts.
Anything else to be covered on this topic: MNOP: Mail Network Optimisation Project: IPO Exam/PS Group B Exam? Leave a comment below.